The Lost Tower of Luddenham
The small church at Luddenham (Domesday: Dodeham), Kent is a manorial church whose north tower collapsed in 1806. The church is nowadays managed by the Churches Conservation Trust. A five day field project in 2011 located the foundations of the collapsed tower. The tower material and rubble fill yielded lead window cames: Roman tegulae, imbrices, roller stamped and comb decorated box flue tiles: a sesquipedalis: late medieval Flemish tiles: abundant peg tile and roughly shaped mortared flints. The replacement brick-topped tower on the west end exhibited bricks laid using Flemish Bond and English Cross Bond. The body of the church contains much dressed Kentish Ragstone, probably from a nearby Roman building.
© 2005 - 2019 The Faversham Society Archaeological Research Group